Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You can take your "accurate" rankings and shove'em


Who's rocking the accurate pre-season Penn State rankings, bitches? Me! On January 10, I threw out my early pre-season top 25 for 2008. Where did I put Penn State? Why, No. 10. The chance that was just a lucky guess is slim, and that No. 10 ranking was validated this week by Mr. Pre-season Football himself--Phil Steele.

You're probably sick of my apparent love fest with Steele, but I'm not alone. When you find a magazine that accurately predicts college football the way Steele's does, bring it to me and I'll buy you a drink. But that's not why I'm here gloating today. Sure it's a small, petty reason to get excited. But when I rank Penn State No. 10 in ZN's January 10 pre-season rankings, only to find out Steele has them in the same exact spot, I take pride in that.

"I doubt anyone else will have the Lions in their Top 10 but this is a talented team and I may have had them higher had their best defensive player (LB Sean Lee) not been lost in the spring," Steele wrote in his 2008 College Football Preview.

Ah'hem, but I believe there's a particular top 10 which absolutely has Penn State. I'm allowed to get full of myself here and there. Right now, it is here AND there.

"10. Penn State, 9-4 (17) – NO, I’m not being biased. If you do your research, this Lions team loses only three starters," I wrote in ZN's rankings.

A lucky shot, you say. Well, lucky or not, it was spot on. And even though the loss of Sean Lee had a lot to do with Steele's ranking--ZN's ranking was out before Lee's injury--it still gives me some thrill to think my predictions aren't making me sound like a whack job. I'm done now.

I'm going to have my summer pre-season rankings out today, so check back this afternoon to find out where the teams have moved. Hint: PSU doesn't go anywhere. Also tomorrow: Big Ten Bloggers all-conference picks. And Monday: First Look: Syracuse Orange(men), with a special guest appearance by 'Cuse blogger Brian, of Orange 44.

0 Commented on this story:

Big Ten Bloggers Feed

Zombie Nation Blog Roll

Blurbs galore...

"Heavy on the analysis and discussion, this meaty blog craves brains because they use 'em when discussing their football. Good reading..." - Sporting News Today, 11/03/08

"Zombie Nation is here..." - SI on Campus, 06/13/08

"One of the prominent Penn State Blogs..." - SpartyMSU, 6/22/09

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, 6/22/09

"Zombie Nation, a venerable Penn State blog..." - Maize & Blue Nation, 02/10/09

"...We prefer the sly wit and banter from Zombie Nation." - The Enlightened Spartan, 11/21/08

"Zombie Nation gets an "A"..." - Lake the Posts, 09/18/08

"...Zombie Nation, a great Penn State football blog." - Orange::44, 09/12/08

"Zombie Nation gets points for trying." - MaizeNBrew, 09/12/08

"If you are looking for a reasoned response, visit ZN..." - There is No Name on my Jersey, 09/04/08

  © Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / Edited for Zombie Nation

Back to TOP