Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Paterno or Bowden, yet again

It's about freaking time some preview (The Quad, to be exact) acknowledges the fact that Bobby Bowden is NOT the career I-A wins leader.

"Tidbit (coaching edition): As all loyal readers of the Countdown undoubtedly know, Paterno trails only Bobby Bowden on the career list for major college wins; Bowden has 373 victories, with Paterno on his heels with 372. However, if we discount Bowden’s 31 wins on the F.C.S. level (Samford, 1959-62), Paterno holds the edge in F.B.S. victories, 372-341."
The funny thing about this, since the conversion to FBS (former I-A) and FCS (former I-AA), who the hell knows which coach is the real leader? Are we now going by how many wins at the F-B-S level, or is it unchanged from when it was I-A football? Of course, it's unchanged. I don't care what you call it, but there's no comparison between Bowden's wins over Mississippi College, Furman, Troy and Delta State, and Paterno's wins over Pitt, Maryland, Syracuse and Texas. Even if you took away all wins over I-AA schools by both coaches, Paterno would still lead. So don't try to say 'Paterno played I-AA teams, too!' It doesn't work.

There's not much to worry about though, as Florida State doesn't look to contend for anything this season (even with all those I-AA/FCS schools on the 2008 schedule). Penn State, even with a decent record, should push Paterno back up and beyond Bowden's false record. I would just like to see more writers/sports fellas respect the fact that Paterno has won more games on a higher level than Bowden. And just because there was no I-A/AA designation before 1978, doesn't mean that ALL those 'Major College' wins count alongside the true I-A/FBS wins.

Completely off the Paterno/Bowden topic, but a great debate nonetheless: Say that again?

5 Commented on this story:

Anonymous,  Oct 13, 2008, 3:07:00 PM  

My wife and I (PA residents but not PSU alums) are both in complete agreement with you. We celebrate every FSU loss that serves to reduce the chance for this farce to become permanent. One fact that you may have wrong, which would actually strengthen your case, is that Samford was I-AA. I actually think they were Division 2 or 3. When I was in college in the 80's, I saw them live playing at Hampden-Sydney College, which is D-3. By the logic currently being employed, are you telling me that if Eddie Robinson coached one game in I-A he would have been eligible for this title? It's crazy.

Anonymous,  Nov 22, 2008, 5:53:00 PM  

Quit croaking!

Anonymous,  Feb 18, 2009, 5:59:00 PM  

The first poster is an idiot. Obviously, after the NCAA made a distinction between Division I and Division II, those wins would not count towards the record. However, Robinson does have some wins that would count towards the DI record.

Seriously, Penn State fans need to quite crying and realize Bowden is your daddy.

Mike Feb 18, 2009, 7:29:00 PM  

I didn't know being our daddy meant going 1-7 against Paterno...

Mike Feb 18, 2009, 7:29:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Big Ten Bloggers Feed

Zombie Nation Blog Roll

Blurbs galore...

"Heavy on the analysis and discussion, this meaty blog craves brains because they use 'em when discussing their football. Good reading..." - Sporting News Today, 11/03/08

"Zombie Nation is here..." - SI on Campus, 06/13/08

"One of the prominent Penn State Blogs..." - SpartyMSU, 6/22/09

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, 6/22/09

"Zombie Nation, a venerable Penn State blog..." - Maize & Blue Nation, 02/10/09

"...We prefer the sly wit and banter from Zombie Nation." - The Enlightened Spartan, 11/21/08

"Zombie Nation gets an "A"..." - Lake the Posts, 09/18/08

"...Zombie Nation, a great Penn State football blog." - Orange::44, 09/12/08

"Zombie Nation gets points for trying." - MaizeNBrew, 09/12/08

"If you are looking for a reasoned response, visit ZN..." - There is No Name on my Jersey, 09/04/08

  © Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / Edited for Zombie Nation

Back to TOP