Friday, April 4, 2008

Remember When :: The last time PSU was ranked No. 1 by ANYONE


Does anyone else find this utterly disturbing? If Penn State doesn't reach No. 1 at some point during the 2008 football season--I know, don't hold my breath--it will be the tenth anniversary in 2009 since the last time the Nittany Lions were second to none.

That's right, it has been nine years since Penn State went into the 1999 season ranked No. 1 by many, including this retro SI.com preview.

It's unprecedented in the Joe Paterno era for Penn State to go more than a decade's time without a No. 1 ranking. There is some hope, though, surrounding this year's team. I'm the first to say that I will drink the cool aid if it's given to me by Evan Royster, Maurice Evans, Sean Lee and AQ. But again, that's only if they stir it up and pour the glasses. There's really no point to this post, except that when I found that SI preview link, it got me thinking... is Penn State really that far removed from its illustrious past? Looks like we'll find out in 2008.

2 Commented on this story:

Unknown Apr 4, 2008, 5:02:00 PM  

I'll have some of that blue and white kool aid also...I can't help but be excited about the prospects of what we can do with a spread offense, even though I should know better. Call me crazy but I really think this will be our year. Oh yeah, thanks for keeping up a great blog.

PSUgirl Apr 7, 2008, 1:01:00 PM  

PSU was so horribly overrated in 1999 - and I can remember being annoyed when SI did rank them as #1 - emotionally, and historically, it's better to have to "climb" through the ranks.

but sure, it's nice to have people "talking about" your team. Last year, during the lead up to the season - the only pundit who would talk about PSU was Kirk Herbstreit.

Big Ten Bloggers Feed

Zombie Nation Blog Roll

Blurbs galore...

"Heavy on the analysis and discussion, this meaty blog craves brains because they use 'em when discussing their football. Good reading..." - Sporting News Today, 11/03/08

"Zombie Nation is here..." - SI on Campus, 06/13/08

"One of the prominent Penn State Blogs..." - SpartyMSU, 6/22/09

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, 6/22/09

"Zombie Nation, a venerable Penn State blog..." - Maize & Blue Nation, 02/10/09

"...We prefer the sly wit and banter from Zombie Nation." - The Enlightened Spartan, 11/21/08

"Zombie Nation gets an "A"..." - Lake the Posts, 09/18/08

"...Zombie Nation, a great Penn State football blog." - Orange::44, 09/12/08

"Zombie Nation gets points for trying." - MaizeNBrew, 09/12/08

"If you are looking for a reasoned response, visit ZN..." - There is No Name on my Jersey, 09/04/08

  © Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / Edited for Zombie Nation

Back to TOP